Due to staffing changes, we have postponed the City and Guilds level 2 course this summer 2022. Please watch this space for details of courses coming up.
Planning and Planting a Herb Garden
We are in the process of re-arranging the herb courses for the 2022 season. Please return for updates. In the meantime, if you would like to get involved in herb growing, the Totnes Community Herbal Project is based on the School Farm site, and have regular volunteer days and courses. Find out more on Instagram here or email email@example.com.
The herb courses explore how to plan and plant an organic herb garden for culinary and tea uses, looking at growing in garden beds and pots.
We will be learning about the range of herbs you can grow, their different uses, creating spaces for wild herbs, growing from seed and cuttings, caring for your plants harvesting and working with herbs for health and cooking. This course is suitable for beginners or anyone who wants to learn new skills or increase their range of herbs.
City & Guilds Level 2 Award
As of Spring 2022, this course is currently postponed until further notice. Please keep checking back for details.
The course is primarily practical, and backed up by theory and discussion. It covers all aspects of food growing including:
- Soils, composting and mulching
- Companion planting, crop planning and rotations
- Propagation by seeds and cuttings
- Transplanting and planting out
- Caring for plants including understanding weeds, pests and diseases, and plant nutrients and feeds
- Tree and shrub fruit pruning
- Plant identification
- Gardening for wildlife and biodiversity
- Planning garden space and planting, including creating a design and planting plan
- Introduction to various approaches including permaculture, forest gardening, no-dig gardening and growing herbs.
For more information please email Mel on: firstname.lastname@example.org.
City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Practical Horticulture
The Level 1 award is perfect for people who are new to gardening, or have not taken any previous horticulture courses. This course takes place in our neighbouring Foxhole Community Garden, and the next enrollment will be in Summer 2022.